Garrett Pierce pens songs that peek into that same dark, yet optimistic place that Henry Miller and Leonard Cohen tapped into. His voice seems to soar alongside acoustic ballads or dirgey rock songs with the emotional confidence of someone who has found his path after years of yearning.
Born and raised in the Los Angeles area, Garrett spent the last decade in San Francisco and Davis, CA where he delivered two full-length albums on Crossbill Records. The first, Like A Moth, was culled from stripped down sessions in basements, closets and the occasional studio. His second record, All Masks, was musically and technically more accomplished. Featuring lush strings, and cast of 10 musicians, it showcased his talents as both a composer and lyricist.
There is no doubt that Garrett is special among the newer generation of songwriters. His dedication toward his craft, and his confessional and honest storytelling, make him among the great young talents in the Bay Area right now. His new record, City of Sand, will be released later this year on Narnack Records, and is his most concise and striking work to date.
City of Sand was recorded with the help of producer/musician Eric Ruud, Tim Wright, and others in the January hills of Bennet Valley, a small wooded hamlet just up from Santa Rosa, CA. There is a confidence and calm that occurs in the record that can only have happened in such a place. The greens of those winter mountains helped Garrett and his team assemble songs that perfectly encapsulate the stories that flow through City of Sand. Stories that were inspired by Garrett’s real life experiences in the jungles of Guatemala, the streets of San Francisco, and the unending fields of California’s flatlands.
There will always be a juxtaposition in Garrett’s work that balances between the sweet and soaring melodic world and his stark biting lyrical commentary. There is purpose to this formula. He wants to draw you in with a radio-friendly tune, but challenge you with lyrics that explore that shadowy, hidden side of yourself.
City of Sand accomplishes that very goal. The album begins with the catchy number “Everybody Breaks,” a song which bends a pop melody into something very different. The album then evolves through genres from alt-country, straight-forward rock, and back to minimal folk ballads.
We end with a man searching for a lost love after he’s taken a plane to the other side of the world. A sojourn from your daily grind, City of Sand is an album that deserves to be devoured whole. To serve it best, sit down – alone – libretto in hand, and allow yourself to be drawn back to a time when lyrics were at the center of it all.
- Garrett Pierce: Tour Dates! (4/25/2013) - Make sure to check it: Garrett Pierce is finishing up his west coast tour. We hope you can make it out to one of his shows! 4/25: Babylon, CA @ Davis House Show 4/26: Sacramento, CA @ Bows & Arrows w/Tepid Joy 4/27: Berkeley, CA @ Starry Plough w/ Tepid Joy Connect with Garrett Pierece Facebook / Twitter / Narnack
- Garrett Pierce releases California Tour Dates (4/5/2013) - Come check out Garrett Pierce as he embarks on his sunny California (and Oregon!) tour. He will be playing in a town near you! 4.18) San Francisco, CA @ The Eagle Tavern w/Anna Hillburg (of Dreamdate) 4.19) Los Angeles, @ Obfuscube w/Moomaw (Record Release), N.O.W. 4.20) San Luis Obispo, CA @ The Sanitarium w/Emily Wryn 4.21) Santa Cruz, CA @ Crepe Place 4.22) Eureka, CA @ Little Red Lion 4.24) [...]
- New Garrett Pierce tour dates! (3/7/2013) - Hey all, Garrett Pierce is set to tour! West coast, whats up?! 4/18 SF – The Eagle Tavern 4/20 San Luis Obispo – The Sanitarium 4/21 Santa Cruz – Crepe Place 4/22 Eureka – Little Red Lion 4/25 Davis House Show – Babeylon 4/26 Sacramento Bows & Arrows 4/27 Berkeley Starry Plough Stay tuned, more dates to be confirmed soon!
- Video Premiere: Garrett Pierce releases “Why, Oh Why?” (2/5/2013) - Earlier today, Garrett Pierce released a new music video off of his latest album, City of Sand. “Why, Oh Why?”, directed by Gonzalo Eyzaguirre, harkens back to the western era of gunslingers and whiskey drinkers. Check out the story over at Sirens of Decay.
- Check out what these nice people are saying for the holidays (12/23/2012) - Hello everyone, With the holidays just around the corner, it seems like music lovers are in the giving spirit! Since Garrett Pierce’s latest album, City of Sand, was first released in November, we’ve had a slew of people let us know just how much they loved the record. From Ellenwood: On initial listen, Los Angeles native Garrett Pierce’s music transports the listener to the sun-bleached beach towns of California, and the [...]